POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray standard include files : Re: povray standard include files Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray standard include files
From: Ben Chambers
Date: 15 Nov 2006 21:46:13
Message: <455bd0f5$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> To make these things work you'd have to make assumptions/standardisations
> for lighting (radiosity or not, brightness), scale (since it's a pain to
> re-scale each thing, plus media effects don't scale well)... Not to mention
> effects that interfere with each other (for example my ocean from p.b.i
> doesn't play nicely with fog, because it's hollow so it can be filled with
> media). I'm just very sceptical that these issues can be resolved in a way
> that is simple for newbies to understand and doesn't interfere with more
> advanced users.

Standardizations would be better than assumptions.  I've long thought
about a standard library of objects based off of common declarations, ie

#declare inch=1;
setup_from_inches()

--or--

#declare meter=1;
setup_from_meters()

Something along those lines, and then in your objects using

cylinder {<-5,0,0>*inches,<12,0,1>*inches,1*inches}

Or things like that.  Since most of the current objects are not built
this way, it would mean making everything from scratch.

Lighting might be able to be done in a similar way, with a set of
standard definitions, and all the base colors derived from those.
However, someone who knows more about light would be able to answer this
better than I could.

Of course, in the end it just means you have to build everything for the
library from scratch, but then the library would be extremely reusable.

...Chambers